Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Not so Awesome News....

Well, of course, we've been waiting for over a week now to get any feedback and/or communication from the clinic on hubby's last blood test. Ya know, the one they sprung on us for another $300, out of no where, due to "new federal regulations" and the test that of course hubby was pissed about and stalled to get done. Finally, he gets it done on a Sunday morning and that was that. No one told him what to expect or what to do...no one told him when they would call or when the results would be back. They did try to charge him more than the initial letter asked, too...but, he stood strong and name dropped in order to hold them accountable to the original price...he also came back with a nasty bruise on his arm...noticeable enough that at the lake this past weekend, his mom, who is radiologist technician asked what the heck happened (because, you know, she does blood work and punctures all day everyday and he has the BEST veins so she didn't understand why someone would have ANY trouble!). But anyways, I finally reached out to M this afternoon and pulled another WTF?! 

Honestly, I keep saying this, but if we didn't know someone, I'm not sure how I would manage going through this process (with my Type A personality)... I ask M stuff all the time...Why this? When that? Where that? Who this? We haven't had the best phlebotomists out there (the people that draw blood) and I've made her aware; we haven't had the best communication out there and I've made her aware...I keep reminding her that they should probably be fixing things up for other patients because if they are treating and dealing with your step daughter once removed like this, just imagine how it's going with others who do not know someone. But, anyways, she reassured us that things will get better and unfortunately, it's a waiting game right now...so there isn't much to update being we're done with all of our testing and just playing it cool for the time being. 

So, I reached out to her today and asked when we should expect someone to reach out to us with Hubby's results...she explained to me that he needed to go online to some website where they post the results (of course, he should've gotten some sort of hand out and detailed explanation on the procedure, but he didn't -- or at least he didn't share those details with me. But he was clueless, too). Then based on the outcome, reach out to someone to walk through the details....Um...OK??! GOOD GOD. Really? Has this whole world turned into a cyber crazed social media stink bomb?? Can't someone pick up the damn phone and call someone? I mean, it's not like we aren't going through some super high stress issues (*Insert sarcasm here* yea right) and now you're going to test us for recessive gene disorders and you want me to find out for myself online? Ummmm...NO. 

After I freaked out a bit, we set up the account and logged in. We paired all the details, got the results sent over and without a care in the world, thinking that everything would be fine (because hubby is perfect)....there was the outcome = POSITIVE. 

So, this test, if you go back a couple posts I tried to explain it -- basically, there are new protocols with donor egg programs and they now require all male partners to be screened for recessive diseases to be sure that the egg donor and the male partner do not share any recessive mutations that would cause significant issues in offspring. (this is a long post, I know)

Hubby tested positive as a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis. Are you wondering what this actually means? Because while I was at work and received these results, I FRICKEN FLIPPED OUT. I mean, I jump to the worst conclusion....I mean the worst one out there...sometimes my dyed blonde hair gets the best of me. I basically told myself that hubby was going to die and we wouldn't be able to have babies anymore. Dumb. I know....so, I took a breather and started Googling (of course) then called M. She explained to me what it meant and that we have nothing to worry about on this end...apparently, any donor going through the process at our clinic is also screened (hence why the male partner needed to be screened) and they actually "throw out" any donor applicants that test positive for CF. Phew....we're safe. BUT, she did note that we would probably want to let Hubby's brothers and family know of the positive outcome because being this is genetic, they most likely (99.999%) also carry this gene and would want to know if they are planning to having a family in the future. The only other thing, is that when we have a baby, the gene will be passed along and we will need to make the child aware in the future for the same reasons as why we would want to tell his brothers and family. 

So, I freaked out and Hubby (the engineer that he is) gave me a whole science/biology lesson on the detailed analysis of genetics and explained to me the science behind everything and how he wasn't concerned. He's very good at making me back down from the ledge :) He even drew a diagram explaining the situation...basically, in order for offspring to inherit the genetic mutation, there needs to be two carriers and then it's based off of a percentage (1 out of 110), etc. This is literally what he drew: 



Again, this is me looking too deep into situations and scenarios....but, this freaks me out. Figuring out recessive genetic mutations and defects, being able to screen for this and that to insure that nothing "hurts" your chances of success. I honestly feel like we're testing fate....but then I ask myself if this opportunity is being given to us to help save our future child. I mean, when you think about it...to have a normal baby, the normal man on woman way...it is honestly a miracle. A MIRACLE. So many bits and pieces and genes and specifics and ovulation cycles, sperm-y swimmers have to be perfect, lined up 110%...this is just to get pregnant. Then so many other things have to be perfect in order to get a healthy baby out of the deal. This is nuts to me. It's like crazy overload in my brain...makes me wonder how this can happen so often to random crazies who don't even want it. Again, it's a great great great thing for those who want a family and who get the opportunity for the stars to align and your perfect little family to appear. But, it's nuts. I can't believe it happens. And then to think that there is no screening, there is no foreseeing of the possible issues that may come along the line in the future (this is super scary, too!)...so, we should be thankful that we know the details we do and can benefit from it. 

So, long story short...YES. My perfect husband is a carrier of Cystic Fibrosis (I don't even want to know all the genetic issues I have!). But, it won't affect us and the baby because any donor applicant that is tested positive for the mutation is booted and no longer a viable candidate. We just need to make immediate family and any offspring aware of the details. 

Ok...too much science for me...heading to bed :)

****ALSO, I emailed the donor coordinator tonight to see if she could give us any other darn updates...we'll see what she says. 

No comments:

Post a Comment